The HypnoBirthing® Childbirth Education program was created by Marie F. Mongan M.Ed., M.Hy. and based on the natural birth concepts of Dr. Grantly Dick-Read. HypnoBirthing® is a philosophy and practice that empowers women and their birth partners to look forward to their baby’s birth and to have a calm, comfortable birth experience. The program teaches that in the absence of fear and tension or special circumstances, severe pain is not an inherent part of giving birth.
Women have been culturally conditioned to believe that excruciating pain is associated with birth, and because of this, women today are deeply afraid of giving birth. This extreme fear creates tension in the birthing woman’s body, which inhibits the body’s natural ability to perform the normal, physiological function of giving birth. Fear can lead to unnecessary pain and intervention.
HypnoBirthing® focuses on eliminating this cultural conditioning and negativity surrounding birth. Through HypnoBirthing®, women learn to dismiss fear-based stories, misinformation, and birthing myths, and discover that birth is natural. They gain trust in their bodies and their ability to give birth to their babies.
The HypnoBirthing® Advantage:
- Eliminates the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome before, during, and after birthing
- Eliminates fatigue during labor
- Promotes special bonding of mother, baby, and birthing companion
- Returns birthing to the beautiful, peaceful experience nature intended
- Creates a more integral role for the birthing companion
What you will learn in the HypnoBirthing® Program:
- Relaxation and self-hypnosis techniques to eliminate fear and tension, replacing it with confidence and calm
- How the mother’s body is designed to work in harmony with nature during the birthing process
- The importance of prenatal and perinatal bonding
- A guide to good pregnancy nutrition
- Body toning exercises and practice
- A free hypnotic session in building birth confidence and eliminating fears
- Demonstration and practice in optimal birth positions
- Postpartum information, including breastfeeding
- Well-paced instruction designed to build your confidence and help you to have a safer, easier, and more comfortable birth
HypnoBirthing Class Description:
Classes are taught by Certified HypnoBirthing® Childbirth Educators. The program consists of five classes lasting 2 ½ hours each over a period of five weeks. During the classes, you will receive helpful tools, including 5 professionally written scripts, 2 relaxation CDs, handouts for planning your birth preferences, a set of birth prompts for your birth companion, and a copy of the HypnoBirthing® textbook, “HypnoBirthing®: The Mongan Method” by Marie F. Mongan, M.Ed., M.Hy. Students also watch birthing videos of HypnoBirthing® moms and companions, and learn positions and techniques for relaxed, comfortable birthing.